What are the 17 goals?
The Agenda 2030 establishes the basis for creating world-wide economic progress in keeping with social equality and in the framework of ecological zones on our planet. The core piece of the agenda is an ambitious catalogue with 17 goals for sustainable development (Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs).
For the first time the 17 SGDs take into equal account the three areas of sustainability – social, environmental and economic issues. The Agenda 2030 is valid for all the nations of the world. Developing, emerging and industrial states; they must make their contribution. (https://www.17ziele.de)
What is our contribution?
As a family company, the Andechser Dairy Scheitz is rooted in this region. All the measures and targets for sustainable development are based on an active, value-added-network filled with life by all those involved – starting with the organic farmers and on up to the dairy staff, to all traders and conscious consumers.
At Andechser Dairy Scheitz we try our best to pursue and realize the ultimate for humankind and nature.
This is why we constantly implement developments and modernizations within our company, why we submit to tests and receive awards, why we are proud to champion organic products for the protection of the environment and the climate and for an ethically defined organic economy. However, every one of us must perceive that his/her behavior is potentially important for changing the current situation where humankind lives at the cost of the next generation. Because we all depend on the future situation in this world – everything is interconnected. We must understand what our daily actions, our daily consumption means for our environment and the living planet. Only together will be able to make this a better world!
ENDING POVERTY IN ALL ITS FORMS AND EVERYWHERE.
- We pay our organic farmers a fair milk price, securing their existence, in negotiation with the representatives of the organic milk farmers.
- Our fruit and sugar suppliers provide the so-called ‘code of conduct (which involves among other things fair payment to commodity producing countries) to keep to the defined guidelines for sustainability as an obligatory part of the contract.
- Furthermore, products are donated for social purposes throughout the year – e.g. for the regional food banks, but also for additional action to support people in need.
PUTTING AN END TO STARVATION, PROMOTING FOOD SAFETY, ACHIEVING A BETTER DIET AND PROMOTING SUSTAINABLE FARMING.
- We promote the development of ecological farming; as a 100% organic dairy, it is our absolute daily ambition to increase ecological farming on the entire area under cultivation. The amount of organic milk processed increased from around 74m kg (in 2009) to currently 130m kg (in 2019) and is currently supplied by 650 organic dairy farmers. The area under cultivation is currently around 28,000 hectares – that equates to 12.3% of the Bavarian land area.
- The organic dairy farmers operate in line with the criteria of the organic associations on a daily basis. They take into account the welfare of the animals and work to maintain sound soil, providing healthy fodder for the animals that in turn provide the valuable raw material of ecological milk for healthy food products. The organic dairy farmers thus guarantee a permanent and sustainable supply.
- Using only natural ingredients from ecological farming and an especially gentle production process, organic dairy products of the highest quality are manufactured and made available for free to, e.g. the regional food banks on a weekly basis by Andechser Dairy Scheitz.
PROVIDING A HEALTHY LIFE FOR ALL PEOPLE OF ALL AGES AND PROMOTING THEIR WELLBEING.
- A healthy life is closely connected with a healthy diet; we produce healthy organic dairy products, which contribute to the wellbeing of consumers – even organic goat’s milk products – and, as a total package, they make a valuable contribution to everyone’s daily diet.
- A healthy environment and healthy surroundings contribute to everyone’s wellbeing; our organic dairy farmers preserve the local cultural landscape with their gentle way of farming – without GMO technology and pesticides! This way, they also provide us with healthy drinking water and healthy organic food.
- With the ecological path taken by our company we promote the protection of nature, the environment and the biosphere. In order to be able to survive a working environment characterized by competition and change, we support our staff with individual career advancement, company pension schemes and the compatibility of family and career. We take care of our staff’s wellbeing.
ENSURING INCLUSIVE, EQUAL AND HIGH-QUALITY EDUCATION AND PROMOTING OPPORTUNITIES OF LIFE-LONG LEARNING FOR EVERYONE.
- We are active as a training company with four in-house recognized trades. In addition, we ensure a life-long learning process with individual training opportunities for all staff.
- As an initiator of various studies on “organic” we promote education on the topics of ecological farming and contribute to a better comprehension of correlations and effects. Current example: “Do you understand organic?”
- We provide sustainable information in the context of the teacher’s platform, ‘einfach-clever-essen.de’ (about: simply eat smart), where teachers can get information on topics around nutrition and additional activities in schools and kindergartens on the education and effects of ecological farming.
REACHING EQUALITY AMONG SEXES AND ENABLING WOMEN AND GIRLS SELF-DETERMINATION.
- We, in Andechser Dairy Scheitz, stand for the equal treatment of the sexes and allow both women and men the compatibility of family and career.
- Our staff receive the same payment for the same performance – there is an equal salary policy between women and men.
- Our management branch is characterized by a high number of female leaders.
ENSURING THE AVAILABILITY AND SUSTAINABLE MANAGEMENT OF WATER AND SANITARY SYSTEMS FOR EVERYBODY.
- With ecological farming, organic farmers actively contribute to the management of water protection. The general prohibition of chemical, synthetic fertilizers and pesticides is particularly important. It ensures natural, high quality water (e.g. the drinking water quality in Munich, Mangfalltal).
- The man-made wetlands, which can occasionally be found on the Andechs dairy farms contribute to the cleaning of wastewater and thus to the availability of clean water.
- We manage our company by saving resources and are mindful of the reduction of water consumption during the production process. Thanks to the high technical standards in our company, wastewater can be kept to minimum and water can be saved.
SECURING ACCESS TO AFFORDABLE, RELIABLE, SUSTAINABLE AND MODERN ENERGY FOR EVERBODY.
- With a modern, central energy system, energy-efficient production of ANDECHSER NATUR organic milk products is enabled; the thermal discharge is utilized by means of a heat pump as energy retrieval. The sludge produced is concentrated and utilized in the biogas plant.
- With additional investments, such as the private power supply with a cogeneration unit the environmental balance is optimized.
- Since 2009 (greenpeace energy, then Stadtwerke München) Andechser Dairy Scheitz uses 100% ecological power and supports e-mobility with electric company cars used by staff, as well as car-sharing among staff.
- Renewable energies in the form of photovoltaic energy can be found on the roofs of the dairy and those of our supplying organic farmers.
PROMOTING PERMANENT, SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC GROWTH WITH A BROAD IMPACT, PRODUCTIVE FULL EMPLOYMENT AND HUMANE WORK FOR EVERYBODY.
- With the ambition “organic for everyone!” we, as an initiator, promote the development of ecological farming with an increase of ecologically constructed areas. Thus, we save and support the existence of small farmers.
- With our partners we work on an equal footing with all the people involved and we contribute to sustainable economic growth, meeting everyone’s requirements.
- With certified work safety on our premises (according to OHRIS, 2014) we guarantee our staff an excellent, safe work environment.
BUILDING A RESISTANT INFRASTRUCTURE, PROMOTING SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRIALIZATION WITH A BROAD IMPACT, SUPPORTING INNOVATIONS.
- The largest infrastructural network of the dairy is the milk collection. Our aspiration is not to widen the milk catchment areas of about 160km around the dairy, but rather to compress it and optimize existing routes.
- In the production of our organic dairy products, we use existing structures and resources when, e.g. collecting the organic milk near Austria and processing it in partner companies on site.
- We connect with our customers throughout Germany – e.g. in the form of a cow sponsorship and the shipping of treat packages via our online-shop.
- We give incentives for the use of public transportation.
REDUCING INEQUALITY IN AND BETWEEN COUNTRIES.
- Around 14 nations work together in the Andechser Dairy Scheitz. In a culture of togetherness, we all encounter each other on an equal level, which has a positive effect on team spirit.
- We offer German classes to new staff (with a migratory background) if required and support them with the search for accommodation.
- With exchange programs that are implemented by organic farmers, the advantages of ecological ways of doing business are conveyed to other countries to raise awareness and demonstrate opportunities for the implementation of organic farming.
MAKING CITIES AND SETTLEMENTS INCLUSIVE, SAFE, RESISTANT AND SUSTAINABLE.
- Securing and modernizing the location with architectural development is implemented in a responsible way, in close touch with nature, with the reduction of the sealed area by means of extensive greening of the roofs and planted ecological compensation areas for flora and fauna.
- A sustainable development of a municipality comprises an excellent cross-linking of residential buildings and industrial firms with measures, such as, e.g. a noise-insulating wall.
- The focus of the ecological model is the linkage of regional added value, ecological production and the positive synergetic effects from the development of rural space. Hereby, our organic farmers in the respective regions play a big role.
ENSURING SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION PATTERNS.
- Sustainable production is a matter of course; 16 years ago, the Andechser Dairy Scheitz had already been certified according to the EU ecological audit as one of the first organic dairies in Europe. Today it is validated according to EMAS III and meets the highest requirements achieved in the environmental test.
- As a 100% organic dairy we produce a full range offering of high-quality, sustainable organic dairy products, which can be consumed mindfully (usage instead of waste!).
- As an ecological pioneer, we consider it our special obligation to promote education on the advantages of organic food – we want to raise awareness of the value of an organic product and thus help the making of a decision at the chiller cabinet. This is because purchasing an organic product is practically climate protection.
TAKING IMMEDIATE ACTION TO FIGHT CLIMATE CHANGE AND ITS IMPACTS.
- Ecological farming is a kind of farming that will meet challenges in the future to actively encounter climate change. Thus with organic food, only as many animals are allowed to be kept as are able to feed off the yield of their land without the use of chemical, synthetic pesticides or artificial fertilizers that waste too much energy or stress resources. That decreases the energy expenditure in farming, whereby the output of climate-changing carbon dioxide and thus the CO2 footprint is reduced. The soils remain full of life, store more CO2 with the formation of humus and are able to withstand the consequences of extreme weather conditions as a side effect of climate change.
- With their daily work and many more projects all the organic milk suppliers of the Andechser Dairy Scheitz make a constant contribution to climate protection (e.g. the workgroup combination of “healthy soil and humus formation”).
- Within our company we make sure that the CO2 footprint is compensated for; flights for staff are replaced with alternatives such as the railway. With the greening of our roofs and the planting on the premises we make an additional contribution to CO2 capture.
PRESERVING THE OCEANS AND MARINE RESOURCES AND THEIR SUSTAINABLE USE IN THE CONTEXT OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT.
- The reduction of plastic in packaging material is a key topic in this regard; since the beginning of 2018 until today, we have again succesfully reduced the use of plastic material. With the optimization of materials, we were able to sace more than 37 tons of packaging. By omitting snap-on lids, we have saved nealry another 30 tons of plastic per year.
PROTECTING AND RECOVERING ECOLOGICAL SYSTEMS AND PROMOTING THEIR SUSTAINABLE USE.
- The way of doing business according to ecological criteria and the sustainable use of land stand as an exemplary case for these criteria; it protects ecological systems, and can even recover them. With their all-encompassing way of farming the organic dairy farmers make a crucial contribution to biodiversity. We demand (Andechs organic standards) and promote (Grazing Premium) in cooperation with our supplying organic farmers.
- In this context, the work of organic garmers towards a healthy soil rich in humus must also be mentioned. Thanks to organic garming this remains more fertile, absorbs more water, and saves more CO2 compared to conventionally farmed soils.
- With the use of FSC certified paper and carton for the packaging of our organic products and the use of recycling paper (Blauer Engel certification) for printed papers, we also make a contribution to sustainable forestry by saving resources like wood and water.
PROMOTING PEACEFUL AND INCLUSIVE SOCIETIES FOR A SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
- Ecological farming is the answer to many challanges in the 21st century, such as scarcity of water of the food situation. Throughout the world, hundreds of thousands of farmers have succefully shown how it is possible to produce sufficient healthy food within the breaking point of the earth. Within a globalized world, a supply of excellent clean water and healthy food contribute to a peaceful society.
STRENGTHENING MEANS FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF FULFILLING GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT WITH NEW LIFE.
- In a comprehensive and active value-added network between organic farmers, our production in the Andechser Dairy Scheitz and the marketing of organic products, the measures for sustainable development are strengthened. The partnership for the common goal "More organic for everyone" and the associated education on the accomplishments of ecological farming unites us in the commitment for a better world.